Sunday, January 08, 2012

More Mars Hill Kids stuff!

This weekend was the launch of the Mars Hill Kids new curriculum. I'm VERY happy to have been a part of it. Both as a Christian and as an illustrator. Seeing stuff "live" still blows me away. Many of my projects get sent off and all I can do is hope they turn out well. Attending Mars Hill I get to see it first hand. 


A while ago, I created a bunch of art including the MHK logo. It was developed as a coloring book. And as MH started to decorate the kids rooms with giant versions of my art, I was in awe. Standing next to them was very exciting as I eye balled every line to see if I made any mistakes. That big, it would show! And the contrast of a fat, old tattooed guy with cute art still cracks me up. 


Recently, the AD in the art department asked me to help with the first curriculum book illos. It was a tight turn around, and they let me play with a new style that helped meet the deadline. I really like the majority of the work I cranked out over those few days, but could nit pick it all to no end. I wanted every little line to work perfect and could have spent many hours on each one. However, there is something special about having a deadline. That something I love in the sketch stage that often gets lost. The rawness of the art. Sketches have soul. The finals themselves can be great, but there is that "something" factor that I tried hard to keep that in this series. And I feel it's there.


This project was another step in the right direction for me. I want to get into Kid lit art. As much as I like business editorial, I love, LOVE, LOVE kid art.








2 comments:

Arya said...

How did you put those on the wall? Are those prints? Or did you paint them?

Unknown said...

Those are vinyl stickers basically. MH printed and stuck em!